Facts about Bangladesh Bangladesh is an islamic country. Its official name is People’s Republic of Bangladesh. It is located in southern Asia. Dhaka is the capital of Bangladesh. The country is bordered by India in west, north and east and it has a small border with Myanmar (Burma) in south-east. The occupied area of this country is 147,570 square kilometres which making it the 92th smallest country in world. The population of Bangladesh is more than 116 millions and almost 90% is muslims.
Amazing Facts about Bangladesh
1 The word Bangladesh means “Country of Bengal” in the local language.
2. The nominal GDP of Bangladesh is $273.618 billion.
3. The nominal GDP of per capita is $4,541.
4. Cox’s Bazar, in Bangladesh is longest sea beach in the world.
5. Bangladesh is the 8th most populous country in the world.
6. More than half of Bangladesh’s population is composed of farmers.
7. In Bangladesh, the left hand is considered unclean, so always use your right hand when eating or passing food, drinks or etc.
8. Kabaddi is the national game of Bangladesh but the most popular game in Bangladesh is Cricket.
9. National animal of Bangladesh is Royal Bengal Tiger but Unfortunately, now it is an endangered species.
10. The largest city and capital of Bangladesh is Dhaka. The city has an estimated population of 15 million people making it one of the largest city in the world.
11. There are approximately 680 rivers flowing throughout the Bangladesh.
12. The currency of Bangladesh is called taka (83.13 taka = 1 dollar).
13. Bangladesh has the third largest Muslim population in the world after Indonesia and Pakistan. This country is one of the most crowded on the Earth.
14. Over 30% of Bangladesh’s population live below the poverty line.
15. Bangladesh celebrate our independence day on 26 March.
16. The national flower of Bangladesh is the white-flowered water-lily, called Shapla.
17. Bangladesh has a Unitary parliamentary republic government.
18. Bangladesh capital Dhaka is also called city of Mosques.
19. Main export of Bangladesh is textile,Fishing and agriculture products.
20. The national bird of Bangladesh is Magpie Robin (or Doyel or Doel).
21. There are more than 2,000 periodicals and daily newspapers published in Bangladesh.
22. Three UNESCO World Heritage sites are located in Bangladesh, including the Mosque City of Bagerhat.
23. Mahasthangarh is the oldest city in Bangladesh.
24. Bangladesh is sometimes called “the playground of seasons” because it has six – not four – separate seasons, which it calls grismo (summer), barsha (rainy), sharat (autumn), hemanto (cool), sheet (winter), and bashonto (spring)
25. Bangladesh has had a rapidly growing economy over the last few years, boasting about 6% growth annually from 1996 to 2008.